agroXML and agroRDF
agroXML is a markup language for agricultural issues providing elements and XML data types for representing data on work processes on the farm including accompanying operating supplies like fertilizers, pesticides, crops and the like. It is defined using W3C's XML Schema. agroRDF is an accompanying semantic model that is at the moment still under heavy development. It is built using RDF.
While there are other standards covering certain areas of agriculture like e. g. the ISOBUS data dictionary for data exchange between tractor and implement or ISOagriNet for communication between livestock farming equipment, the purposes of agroXML and agroRDF are:
- exchange between on-farm systems and external stakeholders
- high level documentation of farming processes
- data integration between different agricultural production branches
- semantic integration between different standards and vocabularies
- a means for standardized provision of data on operating supplies
A number of use cases have been described and implemented within projects. agroXML however is flexible to allow for usage within other contexts as well.